By Victoria Emma Pagán
- Tacitus is without doubt one of the most vital Roman historians of his time, in addition to a good literary stylist, whose paintings is characterised through his philosophy of human nature
- Encourages interdisciplinary dialogue meant to have interaction students past Classics together with philosophy, cultural stories, political technology, and literature
- Showcases new theoretical methods that increase our realizing of this complicated author
- Clarifies and explains the notoriously tough language of Tacitus
- Written and designed to organize a brand new new release of students to envision for themselves the richness of Tacitean thought
- Includes contributions from a vast variety of tested overseas students and emerging stars within the field
Read or Download A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best historical studies books
For a person drawn to historical past, the actual lines of the previous, specially ancient locations, carry a distinct fascination. if it is a battlefield or the house of a remarkable American, there's no query that we comprehend the earlier in a special and extra speedy manner once we come upon it "on the floor.
This vintage creation to the examine of heritage invitations the reader to face again and examine a few of its so much basic questions - what's the element of learning heritage? How can we find out about the prior? Does an aim historic fact exist and will we ever entry it? In answering those vital questions, John Tosh argues that, regardless of the influence of fragmentation created through postmodernism lately, background is a coherent self-discipline which nonetheless bears the imprint of its nineteenth-century origins.
This assortment explores the similarities, adjustments and overlaps among the modern debates on overseas improvement and humanitarian intervention and the historic artefacts and techniques of Empire. It comprises perspectives through historians and scholars of politics and improvement, drawing on a variety of methodologies and techniques.
This e-book presents a close and fascinating account of the way Hollywood cinema has represented and ‘remembered’ the Sixties. From past due Nineteen Seventies hippie musicals comparable to Hair and The Rose via to fresh civil rights portrayals the assistance and Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Oliver Gruner explores the ways that movies have engaged with huge debates on America’s fresh previous.
- The Magic of Concepts: History and the Economic in Twentieth-Century China
- Pueblo y nación. Homenaje a José Álvarez Junco (Spanish Edition)
- Political Memories and Migration: Belonging, Society, and Australia Day (Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies)
- Lecturas del legado español en la Europa ilustrada. (La Cuestión Palpitante nº 19) (Spanish Edition)
- Laws of Early Iceland: Gragas I (U of M Icelandic Series)
- Visible Histories, Disappearing Women: Producing Muslim Womanhood in Late Colonial Bengal
Additional info for A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)