By Jairus Banaji
Exploiting quite a lot of assets, Agrarian swap in past due Antiquity weaves jointly diversified strands of historiography (Weber, Mickwitz, papyrology, agrarian historical past) right into a interesting interpretation that demanding situations the minimalist orthodoxies approximately overdue antiquity and the traditional financial system extra generally.
Read Online or Download Agrarian Change in Late Antiquity: Gold, Labour, and Aristocratic Dominance (Oxford Classical Monographs) PDF
Best ancient history books
The Elder Gods idea bargains a revised account of our prior. recognized archaeological findings don't totally help traditional motives for Earth's improvement, or the emergence of humankind as a species. Archaic facts and old texts recommend that extraterrestrial affects could have been current when you consider that primordial occasions.
Epic and tragedy, from Homer's Achilles and Euripides' Pentheus to Marlowe's Tamburlaine and Milton's devil, are jam-packed with characters not easy and warring opposed to the gods. Nowhere is the subject of theomachy extra usually and powerfully represented, although, than within the poetry of early imperial Rome, from Ovid's Metamorphoses initially of the 1st century advert to Statius' Thebaid close to its finish.
Among historic Greece and sleek psyche lies a divide of not just 3 thousand years, yet cultures which are worlds aside in paintings, expertise, economics and the accelerating flood of ancient occasions. This particular selection of essays from a global choice of members bargains compelling proof for the normal connection and relevance of old delusion to modern psyche, and emerges from the second one 'Ancient Greece, sleek Psyche' convention held in Santorini, Greece, in 2012.
Figuring out Latin Literature is a hugely available, hassle-free paintings that gives a clean and illuminating creation to crucial points of Latin prose and poetry. This moment version is seriously revised to mirror fresh advancements in scholarship, particularly within the zone of the later reception and reverberations of Latin literature.
- Athens Transformed, 404–262 BC: From Popular Sovereignty to the Dominion of Wealth (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
- Aufstände der plebs rustica in der römischen Kaiserzeit: Studien zur antiken Sozialgeschichte (German Edition)
- Die Entwicklung der Taktik des römischen Heeres: Wechselwirkungen zu Innen- und Außenpolitik (German Edition)
- Healing Magic and Evil Demons: Canonical Udug-hul Incantations: Volume 8 8 (Die Babylonisch-Assyrische Medizin in Texten Und Untersuchungen)
- The War of Alexander's Successors 323-281 BC: Volume 1: Commanders and Campaigns
Extra info for Agrarian Change in Late Antiquity: Gold, Labour, and Aristocratic Dominance (Oxford Classical Monographs)