By Ilias Arnaoutoglou
* the family - marriage, divorce, inheritance, adoption, sexual offences and private status
* the market-place - alternate, finance, sale, coinage and leases
* the kingdom - structure, legislative approach, public tasks, colonies, development actions, naval forces, penal laws, faith, politics and inter-state affairs.
Dr Arnaoutoglou explores the importance of laws in old Greece, the variations and similarities among historic Greek laws and legislators and their smooth opposite numbers and in addition offers clean translations of the criminal files themselves.
Read or Download Ancient Greek Laws: A Sourcebook (Routledge Sourcebooks for the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
The Elder Gods conception bargains a revised account of our earlier. recognized archaeological findings don't absolutely help traditional factors for Earth's improvement, or the emergence of humankind as a species. Archaic proof and old texts recommend that extraterrestrial affects could have been current given that primordial instances.
Epic and tragedy, from Homer's Achilles and Euripides' Pentheus to Marlowe's Tamburlaine and Milton's devil, are packed with characters difficult and warring opposed to the gods. Nowhere is the subject matter of theomachy extra often and powerfully represented, although, than within the poetry of early imperial Rome, from Ovid's Metamorphoses firstly of the 1st century advert to Statius' Thebaid close to its finish.
Among historic Greece and glossy psyche lies a divide of not just 3 thousand years, yet cultures which are worlds aside in artwork, know-how, economics and the accelerating flood of ancient occasions. This distinctive selection of essays from a global collection of participants deals compelling proof for the normal connection and relevance of historical fable to modern psyche, and emerges from the second one 'Ancient Greece, sleek Psyche' convention held in Santorini, Greece, in 2012.
Figuring out Latin Literature is a hugely available, basic paintings that gives a clean and illuminating advent to crucial features of Latin prose and poetry. This moment variation is seriously revised to mirror contemporary advancements in scholarship, specially within the region of the later reception and reverberations of Latin literature.
- Der politische Hellenismus: Ägypten unter der gräko-makedonischen Ptolemäerherrschaft (German Edition)
- Death-Ritual and Social Structure in Classical Antiquity (Key Themes in Ancient History)
- Origins of the Sphinx: Celestial Guardian of Pre-Pharaonic Civilization
- Les figures illustres de la Mésopotamie (Peuples et cultures de l'Orient) (French Edition)
- Death and Burial in Iron Age Britain
- Die Beziehung zwischen den altägyptischen Priesterschaften und den ersten Ptolemäern: Die Entwicklung nach der Regierungsübernahme Ptolemaios II. Philadelphos ... Ptolemaios V. Epiphanes (German Edition)
Additional resources for Ancient Greek Laws: A Sourcebook (Routledge Sourcebooks for the Ancient World)