By James M. Banner Jr.
Read or Download Being a Historian PDF
Similar historical studies books
For a person drawn to background, the actual strains of the previous, specially ancient locations, carry a unique fascination. if it is a battlefield or the house of a impressive American, there is not any query that we comprehend the earlier in a distinct and extra speedy means after we stumble upon it "on the floor.
This vintage advent to the examine of background invitations the reader to face again and view a few of its such a lot basic questions - what's the aspect of learning background? How will we find out about the prior? Does an target historic fact exist and will we ever entry it? In answering those imperative questions, John Tosh argues that, regardless of the influence of fragmentation created by means of postmodernism lately, heritage is a coherent self-discipline which nonetheless bears the imprint of its nineteenth-century origins.
This assortment explores the similarities, changes and overlaps among the modern debates on overseas improvement and humanitarian intervention and the old artefacts and techniques of Empire. It comprises perspectives by means of historians and scholars of politics and improvement, drawing on various methodologies and methods.
This ebook offers an in depth and interesting account of the way Hollywood cinema has represented and ‘remembered’ the Sixties. From past due Seventies hippie musicals reminiscent of Hair and The Rose via to fresh civil rights portrayals the assistance and Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Oliver Gruner explores the ways that movies have engaged with huge debates on America’s contemporary earlier.
- Lens of War: Exploring Iconic Photographs of the Civil War (Uncivil Wars)
- The Last Plantagenet Consorts: Gender, Genre, and Historiography, 1440-1627 (Queenship and Power)
- Microeconomics: A Computational Approach: A Computational Approach
- Monsters of the Gévaudan: The Making of a Beast
- The Politics of Memory: Native Historical Interpretation in the Colombian Andes (Latin America otherwise)
- Fighting over the Founders: How We Remember the American Revolution
Extra info for Being a Historian