By Juliette Harrisson
Read or Download Dreams and Dreaming in the Roman Empire: Cultural Memory and Imagination PDF
Similar ancient history books
The Elder Gods idea bargains a revised account of our prior. identified archaeological findings don't absolutely aid traditional motives for Earth's improvement, or the emergence of humankind as a species. Archaic facts and old texts recommend that extraterrestrial affects can have been current considering the fact that primordial occasions.
Epic and tragedy, from Homer's Achilles and Euripides' Pentheus to Marlowe's Tamburlaine and Milton's devil, are choked with characters demanding and warring opposed to the gods. Nowhere is the subject of theomachy extra often and powerfully represented, even though, than within the poetry of early imperial Rome, from Ovid's Metamorphoses firstly of the 1st century advert to Statius' Thebaid close to its finish.
Among historic Greece and sleek psyche lies a divide of not just 3 thousand years, yet cultures which are worlds aside in paintings, expertise, economics and the accelerating flood of historic occasions. This distinct choice of essays from a global collection of members bargains compelling proof for the normal connection and relevance of historic fable to modern psyche, and emerges from the second one 'Ancient Greece, smooth Psyche' convention held in Santorini, Greece, in 2012.
Knowing Latin Literature is a hugely obtainable, common paintings that gives a clean and illuminating advent to an important features of Latin prose and poetry. This moment variation is seriously revised to mirror fresh advancements in scholarship, specifically within the sector of the later reception and reverberations of Latin literature.
- The World of Prometheus: The Politics of Punishing in Democratic Athens
- Über die Kunst, Reichtum zu erlangen. Die Chrematistik bei Aristoteles (German Edition)
- An Anglo-Saxon Reader in Prose and Verse: With Grammar, Metre, Notes and Glossary (Kegan Paul Library of Chivalry)
- Sievers' Law and the History of Semivowel Syllabicity in Indo-European and Ancient Greek (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- Christianity and Roman Society (Key Themes in Ancient History)
Extra resources for Dreams and Dreaming in the Roman Empire: Cultural Memory and Imagination