By Mary Wilson Carpenter
This paintings deals a social and cultural historical past of Victorian medication "from below," as skilled by way of traditional practitioners and sufferers, frequently defined of their personal words.
• deals a chronology of clinical historical past in Victorian England
• contains illustrations in each bankruptcy, comparable to pictures from 19th-century clinical textbooks, journal cartoons, pix, and paintings
Read Online or Download Health, Medicine, and Society in Victorian England (Victorian Life and Times) PDF
Best historical studies books
For someone drawn to background, the actual lines of the prior, particularly historic locations, carry a unique fascination. if it is a battlefield or the house of a amazing American, there isn't any query that we comprehend the prior in a special and extra fast approach once we stumble upon it "on the floor.
This vintage creation to the examine of background invitations the reader to face again and examine a few of its such a lot primary questions - what's the aspect of learning heritage? How can we find out about the prior? Does an target ancient fact exist and will we ever entry it? In answering those vital questions, John Tosh argues that, regardless of the impact of fragmentation created by means of postmodernism in recent times, background is a coherent self-discipline which nonetheless bears the imprint of its nineteenth-century origins.
This assortment explores the similarities, variations and overlaps among the modern debates on foreign improvement and humanitarian intervention and the historic artefacts and techniques of Empire. It contains perspectives through historians and scholars of politics and improvement, drawing on a number of methodologies and methods.
This publication presents an in depth and interesting account of the way Hollywood cinema has represented and ‘remembered’ the Sixties. From past due Seventies hippie musicals resembling Hair and The Rose via to fresh civil rights portrayals the assistance and Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Oliver Gruner explores the ways that motion pictures have engaged with wide debates on America’s contemporary earlier.
- Prima lezione di storia moderna (Universale Laterza) (Italian Edition)
- Philosophy and Politics in the Thought of John Wyclif (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Life and Thought: Fourth Series)
- Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus
- State, Society and Memories of the Uprising of 17 June 1953 in the GDR
- John Dewey and the Ethics of Historical Belief: Religion and the Representation of the Past
- Modern Germany in Transatlantic Perspective
Extra info for Health, Medicine, and Society in Victorian England (Victorian Life and Times)